It is important to stand out at every level of applying for a job, the application, resume, but especially the interview! Be prepared and remember these tips.
- Do not provide references without first checking with them. Not everyone you like always feels the same way, so make sure you discuss putting them as a reference before actually doing so as well as making sure they will give accurate feedback and current information.
- Always turn your phone OFF! An interrupting phone call or text can ruin the positive energy of an interview. Not even carrying your phone in would be the best.
- Make sure you have the address of your interview destination before leaving. If possible, drive by ahead of time so that you know how long it will take you, where you will park and any complications you will encounter on your way.
- Leave your kids at home. Even when picking up an application, if at all possible, find a place for your kids to be during that time so that you can focus and show your professionalism.
- Practice responses to common interview questions ahead of time. There are all sorts of resources available for this online. Practice in front of a mirror or with a friend, but make sure to practice, practice, practice!