Success does not look the same for everyone, nor is it achieved in the same fashion. If one door closes your dream isn’t over, you simply need to find a new path.
What is it that makes people successful and I mean really successful compared to you or me? Are they smarter or do they work harder? Are they risk takers or have powerful and influential friends?
The financial newspaper Investors Business Daily (IBD) asked these same questions a few years ago and started a multi-year search for the answer. They studied industry leaders, investors and entrepreneurs to understand the traits they all had in common that contributed to their success.
1. How You Think is Everything. Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
This trait has to be one of the most important in the entire list. Your belief that you can accomplish your goals has to be unwavering. The moment you say to yourself “I can’t…”, then you won’t.
2. Decide upon Your True Dreams and Goals. Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
Goals are those concrete, measurable stepping stones of achievement that track your progress towards your dreams.
3. Take Action. Goals are nothing without action.
Be like Nike and “Just do it”. Every day try to take some action towards your goals. It may be small, but it’s still an action.
4. Never Stop Learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training & acquire skills.
Becoming a life long learner would benefit us all and is something we should instill in our kids. It’s funny that once you’re out of school you realize how enjoyable learning can be.
5. Be Persistent and Work Hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
There is no getting around this and there is no free lunch. But, if you’re working towards something that you’re passionate about, something you love – then is it really work?
6. Learn to Analyze Details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
You have to strike a balance between getting all the facts and making a decision with incomplete data – both are traits of successful people. Spend time gathering details, but don’t catch ‘analysis paralysis’.
7. Focus Your Time And Money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
Remain laser focused on your goals and surround yourself with positive people that believe in you. Don’t be distracted by the naysayer’s or tasks that are not helping you achieve your goals.
8. Don’t Be Afraid To Innovate: Be different. Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
Follow through on that break-out idea you have. Ask yourself “What would I do if I wasn’t afraid?”
9. Deal And Communicate With People Effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
Successful people develop and nurture a network and they only do that by treating people openly, fairly and many times firmly. There is nothing wrong about being firm.
10. Be Honest And Dependable: Take responsibility, otherwise numbers 1 – 9 won’t matter.
Source: Pick the Brain and Grow Yourself; 10 Secrets to Success by Victor Stachura